- Catholic Commission for Justice and Peace (CCJP)
- Civic Education Network Trust (CIVNET) (Chairing)
- Evangelical Fellowships of Zimbabwe (EFZ)
- Zimbabwe Association for Crime Prevention and Rehabilitation of the Offender (ZACRO)
- Zimbabwe Civic Education Trust (ZIMCET)
- Zimbabwe Congress of Trade Unions (ZCTU)
- Zimbabwe Human Rights Association (ZimRights)
- Zimbabwe National Students Union (ZINASU)
- Zimbabwe Students Christian Movement (SCMZ)
- Combined Harare Residents Association (CHRA)
- Bulawayo Agenda
- Organisation of Rural Associations for Progress (ORAP)
The purpose of the democracy education taskforce is to bring together members of ZESN and the provincial co-ordinating teams to discuss the methods and strategies for carrying out an effective grassroots based democracy education outreach programme in order to enhance citizen participation in issues of governance and democracy. Activities carried out by the taskforce include, training of trainers, production of training manuals, materials such as posters, flyers and calendars, community theatre, videos, public meetings, print media inserts, radio and television programmes.
The overall objective of this programme is to enhance citizen participation in issues of governance and democracy.
The programme’s specific objectives are:
- To inform citizens to vote from an informed basis.
- To increase citizens’ knowledge about democracy and electoral processes.
- To provide active citizenship participation in democratic processes and elections in particular.
- And to facilitate the participation of youth and other marginalized groups in political processes.
The electorate, youth, students, women’s groups, political parties, influential community leaders, the disabled and other marginalized groups.
- Conducting community based workshops, drama and public meetings.
- Designing, producing and distributing campaign materials such as flyers, t/shirts, caps, billboards.
- Developing and inserting of democracy and electoral adverts, cartoons and supplements in national and community newspapers.
- Recording and producing radio and TV adverts and programmes.
- Providing training and refresher courses to provincial task force and community educators.
- Mounting special projects for youths, women and other groups.
Key Result Areas
Under the Plan, the following results will be sought:
- Increased voter turn out during the local authority and parliamentary/presidential elections.
- Increased citizen participation in social, economic and political affairs.
- Increased confidence of citizens in the electoral process.
- Fewer voters turned away on Election Day.
- Reduced incidences of political violence.
- Fewer assisted voters.
- Increase in the number of registered voters.
- Reduced incidents of papers rejected by nomination courts.
- Reduced number of spoilt ballot papers.
- Peace, development and economic prosperity in Zimbabwe.
- Improved relations between Zimbabwe and the international community.