- Catholic Commission for Justice and Peace (CCJP)
- Evangelical Fellowships of Zimbabwe (EFZ)
- Zimbabwe Civic Education Trust (ZIMCET)
- Zimbabwe Congress of Trade Unions (ZCTU)
- Zimbabwe Council of Churches (ZCC)
- Zimbabwe Human Rights Association (ZimRights)
- Zimbabwe National Students Union (ZINASU)
- Zimbabwe Students Christian Movement (SCM.Z)
- Zimbabwe Peace Project (ZPP)
- Progressive Teachers’ Union of Zimbabwe (PTUZ)
The monitoring and observation of elections is vital as it enhances the electorate’s confidence in the electoral process and curbs electoral malpractices. The taskforce undertakes training and deployment of observers in all major elections in Zimbabwe. Election monitoring and observation enhances the legitimacy of the final results and therefore contributes to the post election democratic governance. Over the years this process has given the organisation greater insight to scrutinize election laws, regulations and processes as well as the need for voter education and information dissemination.
The overall objective of this programme is to promote democratic free and fair election processes through objectively monitoring and observing elections.
The programme’s specific objectives are:
- To enhance confidence in the electoral system.
- To deter electoral irregularities.
- To foster participation in elections at local, national, regional and international elections.
- And to systematically gather and provide objective and accurate information about electoral processes within and outside Zimbabwe to various stakeholders.
The electorate, election management bodies, political parties, youth and women.
The Election Monitoring and Observation programme intends to carry out the following activities:
- Recruitment, training and deployment of observers (short term and long term observers, and maintaining a data base on observers);
- Election monitoring and observation (national i.e. local, parliamentary/presidential elections and referenda);
- Reporting (compiling of election reports);
- Conducting of Parallel Voter Tabulation (PVT);
- Conducting of Voter Registration Audits (VRAs)
Key Result Areas
Under the Plan, the following results will be sought:
- Improved participation
- Reduction in electoral irregularities.
- Reduction in cases of violence and intimidation.
- A more informed citizenry on electoral matters.
- Greater adherence to the electoral law by stakeholders.
- Local Authority